Friday, April 6, 2012

Lucky Number 81?

At the age of 81 Keith Wood qualified for the Boston Marathon. He is now 83 and will be the oldest male competitor with a qualifying time of 4 hours and 29 minutes! He ran his first marathon at the age of 72, who ever said you're too old to run?! We are born to run and we should continue to do so :) Keith runs 12 hours per week and says, "I don't have any aches or pains, I have no joint problems, and I eat whatever I want. My father lived until 99, so I have good genes." (Runners World, May 2012)

The qualifying times for the Boston Marathon are below:

Depending on how well the Chicago Marathon goes for me in October, who knows maybe my next goal will be to qualify for Boston?! It looks like the older you get, the easier ;)

Another fun fact: In 2009 Albert Stricker at 86 years old ran a 10k (6.2 miles) in 58 minutes and then two days later ran a half-marathon (13.1 miles) in 2 hours and 17 minutes! He started running at 64 years old!! (Runners World, March 2012) Pretty impressive!

There are so many great benefits to running-if you're a runner you already know this....but if you don't run yet, get out there( .... mother, father, David!! yes, I'm calling you out) When you first begin don't worry about how fast or how long you run, every day add another 30 seconds or a minute and soon you'll be out there running with the best of them :)

In the past I would only run if it was to chase a soccer ball around a field...but now I'm in love :)





No comments:

Post a Comment