Sunday, April 8, 2012

Happy Easter!

 
North at Montrose Harbor
This Easter weekend I ran my first 5k- The Bunny Rock 5k! It was at Montrose Harbor just a few miles north of where I live. I got there about an hour early! Plenty of time to sit around and enjoy the beauty of Lake Michigan!

I learned a few things from this race....it can be more fun when you actually have someone to run the race with you, or at least go with you, so when you're an hour early you're not just bumming around!

Also, when you're provided with this gear (bunny ears and sunglasses) who wouldn't want a friend around?

On a positive note, because I was by myself I took off right from the starting line, within the first mile I regretted it, knowing that's the number one mistake in a race! Since it was a 3 mile race I decided to push myself at that pace even if I did get tired, and I think I did pretty well!

Overall, I placed 117 with a time of 24 minutes and 16 seconds putting me in the top three for my age group!

Anthony and Mary Merlo

This run was also a part of the United Parkinson's Movement! My Grandpa, Anthony Merlo (January 1, 1919- April 16, 2010), lived with Parkinson's for 15 years. Running in this movement was pretty special. It was an international event to collectively run/walk enough miles from the Earth to the Moon. Love you Grandpa!! 

To wrap up my Easter weekend I had Easter brunch with some friends and a delicious steak dinner and some Master's (Congrats Bubba!)  with my brother Jeff :) It's so nice to still have some family around, especially for holidays, always miss our big family get togethers!

Next up-May 6th Cinco de Miler five mile race! Plenty of school, work, and training in between :)

No comments:

Post a Comment