Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Fifth Third River Bank Run

Over the weekend I participated in my first 10k! I traveled back to my college hometown, Grand Rapids, Michigan and ran in the Fifth Third River Bank Run! What I liked most about this race was the variety of distances available: a kids race, 5k, 10k, 25k, there was something for everyone!

I ran with part of the race with Mrs. Juzwiak and a congratulations is in order! She placed second out of 119 in her age group!! We had amazing weather and a lot of fans were out there cheering. The only thing that I thought could have been better was the course. Having lived in Grand Rapids for 6 years I have found a lot of beauty there but I don't think this race showed that. There were a lot of out of towners running this race and it would have been great to show off Grand Rapids' beauty!


My Easter 5k taught me to not start a race too quickly, this race showed me what you put into your body fuels....or does not fuel your body! (I already knew this.....but this race I FELT it!) My classmates and I have been enjoying our last week of not having classes and all of those nacho platters, slices of pizza, and a beer here and there...did not do my body good! I've never been too health conscious or picky about what I eat but I think it is because I did everything in moderation and it never really affected my running or any soccer game. With the marathon training just around the corner this was a nice little reminder to think twice about what I eat/drink! (MORE WATER, PLEASE!) So I've added this nice little cravings chart to give me some healthier alternatives when I want those nachos "general overeating" kicks in!

This week brings back the class and structure to my life so I'll be back out there running at 5:30am!

No comments:

Post a Comment